If you’ve ever asked someone how to build a successful medical practice, likely the first question they asked you was: do you have a medical marketing plan? Any business owner who wants their business to thrive, regardless of the economy, needs to focus on marketing.
Why You Need to Consider a Medical Marketing Plan
For some people, marketing is a dirty word. It brings to mind visions of someone using slimy tactics to get a sale. This isn’t modern-day marketing, though. Modern marketing is customer focused; or, in your case, patient focused. The goal is to think about what concerns and excites potential customers and focusing marketing efforts on appealing to the customer by showing them how they will benefit by investing in a product or service.
This not-even-close-to-slimy marketing technique is appealing, even inspiring. And, companies who do it right are able to see outstanding business growth. For you, this would mean growing your medical practice, taking care of even more patients in your community and earning a better living.
6 Ways to Market Your Medical Practice and Get It to Grow
1. Think Outside of the Social Media Box
While social media is definitely important, it’s not the end-all when it comes to marketing your business. Here are some ways to market outside of the social media box.
- New Patient Welcome Sign
- TV and radio ads
- An article in the local newspaper introducing your practice.
- Invite the public to come in for a meet and greet. They can tour the office and get to know the staff. It’s less pressure than a new patient appointment and helps them see if your personalities mesh.
- Charities, non-profits, schools and other community entities often hold public events to educate the public. Speaking at one of these events is a great way to market your medical practice and showcase your areas of expertise.
- Have a system in place to call or send out letters to patients you haven’t seen in a while. Life is busy and scheduling an appointment with their doctor isn’t always a priority, unless they’re sick. Patient follow-up is a good way to show you care about them and their health. Following up will not only get patients to schedule appointments, it’s a great way to get them to recommend their thoughtful physician to their friends and family.
2. Can You Offer Other Services?
Are you offering just the basics? Can you start offering extra services that would appeal to potential patients? Some medical offices have started offering nutritional services, acupuncture and medical massage therapy. Implementing and then advertising these services has resulted in growth for many of these practices.
3. Send New Patient Welcome Letters
If you want new patients to feel that they’re an important part of your practice, send them a welcome letter. It’s a great reminder of their upcoming appointment, plus it will make them feel excited about coming in and meeting you and your staff. Another plus – they’ll probably tell their friends and family about the awesome medical practice that just sent them an inviting welcome letter.
4. In-Person Networking
Getting to know other medical professionals—including doctors, nurses, medical assistants, sales reps and lab workers—in your community is a great way to promote your business. After all, everyone needs a doctor! Another perk of networking is that other doctors will know that you’re taking new patients. If they can’t take any new patients at this time, they will have a place to direct potential patients who call their office.
5. Social Media
You knew we were going to mention this, didn’t you? We can’t help it – this is a fantastic way to get people talking about your business. Social media platforms expose your medical practice to thousands of people, many of whom are potential patients.
6. Phonebook and Online Directories
When most people are looking for a new doctor, the first place they look is online. Make sure they find you! Sign up for online directories that display your phone number, physical address, email address and website.
Your Medical Marketing Plan: An Important Step in Building a Successful Practice
By implementing these medical marketing techniques, you will begin to see growth within your medical practice. You can slowly implement one at a time, or hire a marketing team to help you with a full marketing campaign. However you decide to proceed, keep in mind that marketing is always going to be an integral part of business growth.