It is important to know how to effectively use print materials to market your business. When you give someone your business card, you’re not just giving them your information, you are giving them a brand experience. When it comes to printing materials, there is a big debate between matte and glossy finishes on business cards. While it largely comes down to preference, here are some pros and cons for each.
Matte Business CardsPROS:
- Using matte stock for your business cards can be a great way to give them a clean modern look.
- The matte finish gives a nice smooth look and works great with designs and color palettes that are subdued.
- Having a matte finish will also take away any glare and will often look cleaner as fingerprints won’t show after someone had touched it.
- If you like to write on your cards when you give them out, then a matte finish will provide a better surface for that.
- You’ll have to pay a premium price for higher quality, matte cardstock.
Glossy Business CardsPROS:
- Glossy business cards have a shiny finish on them and are great if you want to make colors pop.
- If you are planning to have a photo or a headshot on your business cards, a glossy finish will make the them look vibrant and provide a great contrast.
- The finish will also protect your cards better than a matte finish, if you choose a high quality cardstock.
- While it is a matter of preference, glossy cards can sometimes look tacky if they are designed poorly.
CASE STUDY: New Business Cards for JCI
To give you an example of this decision-making experience, we want to give you a behind-the-scenes look at our own business card design process. When we set out to get new business cards printed, we were interested in a design that caught your eye, that made people stop and think. We wanted something interesting, to help people associate our brand with innovation and creativity.
We decided to experiment with a combination of matte and glossy finishes on our business cards, and we found that it accomplished exactly what we were looking for. We decided to combine matte black with glossy black to create a modern and unique look. We have found that this design has been very memorable to customers, and they often mention that they enjoy the look of our business cards. Small adjustments like these can make a big difference in your client experience, and could even be the reason a potential customer decides to make a purchase with your company.
To get the best results, get your cards professionally designed by a print company with a great reputation. This will ensure that your cards match the branding on all of your other marketing materials as well.
To decide on a look that will be a positive compliment to your business, ask yourself what you’re looking to accomplish with your business cards. Matte is a great solution for a high-quality and modern look, while glossy finishes are great for vibrant business cards that you really want to pop.
Whether you choose matte or glossy card stock, the most important thing to remember is that your cards should always match your branding, website design, and all other marketing materials. The goal is to make your business cards into a positive brand touchpoint that is both beautiful and practical.